It took forever to fly down there and I forgot my headphones, but I had the 800-page Goldfinch to keep me company. I’m only about a quarter of the way through it. (I found 60 percent off Bose noise-canceling headphones at Target in Baton Rouge for the flight home….mind blown….I love them! So I listened to music – Arcade Fire – instead of reading all the way home.) The beginning is so good, yet so sad though. Be forewarned.
Per usual, Louisiana did not disappoint in terms of good times, good friends, good food, good weather, and good music. I’m going to attempt (hopefully, but unlikely….) to get up in a few hours for sunrise yoga, but wanted to share some highlights from my AMAZING weekend.
1. I flew into Baton Rouge and got to immediately see Laney and BABY ALICE for the first time! She’s 4-months old and such a peach, like a real life Cabbage Patch doll!
2. Then we headed to New Orleans for the weekend for Jazz Fest. I was reunited with my favorite balcony ever. I could come to New Orleans and just sit here all week!
3. Arcade Fire – LIVE – incredible. That band was on my concert bucket list and did NOT disappoint. We also saw Bruce Springsteen on Saturday night, but we were so far away that the sound wasn’t great.
4. The Gospel, Jazz and Blues tents at Jazz Fest. Totally awe-inspiring.
5. Jazz Fest food did not disappoint. I tried crawfish monica, crawfish strudel, crawfish bread, chocolate ice cream, and rose mint tea. Mmmm!
6. Cute and funky Jazz Fest neighborhood photo booth signs.
7. Angelo Brocatto. I love this little place in the French Quarter. We’d pick up almond croissants and coffee in the morning, but they also make the cutest pastries.
8. Bacchanal, essentially a backyard turned wine and music venue.
(Although, I don’t recommend trying to use self-tanner post wine & cheese! Ooof!)
9. The Green Goddess. Tiny, funky restaurant tucked in an alley with fabulous food.
Citrus salad with candied pecans.
Excuse the crazy brightness – we were sitting outside soaking up the rays. Acadian Country Breakfast! Two sweet potato biscuits stuffed with pan fried boudin patties served with a side of truffle grits, house made pepper jelly and Steen’s cane syrup.
Brandied apple compote and chèvre stuffed inside a Dong Phuong roll topped with bruléed red wine sugar, served with a red wine syrup.
10. Real street musicians.
11. Sleeping cats in store windows.
12. New Orleans city views.
13. Blue skies, no clouds. Yes, please.
14. Bikes! Everyone cycles around the city.
15. Revlon Colorburst Balm Stain. Laney and I both tried out Lovesick and it stayed on at festivals and all day flights. A keeper!
Great weekend –> can’t wait to plan my next trip down South:)