Week Eight: I got new shoes.

marthon training week 8

Vermont City Marathon Training – Week 8:

I got new shoes. It’s the same style that I’ve been wearing for years (Asics GT-21 series), so it’s not terribly exciting. I like the turquoise laces though.

Not a big week training-wise:

Monday, February 20: About 1 hour and 45 min snowshoe….with a cookie break.

cookie + snowshoe

Tuesday, February 21: Swimming class – more breaststroke.

WednesdayFebruary 22: Rest.

Thursday, February 23: 3 mile run +  swimming class. Last day of breaststroke.

Friday, February 24: In Boston. Super rainy. We went out for drinks.

harvard square

I got a dirty martini.

dirty martini

Saturday, February 25: In Boston. Super windy. We went out for cupcakes.

sweet cupcakes

SundayFebruary 26: Liz and I ran about 3.5 miles and then went for pedi/manicures. Pampering trumped running.

manicures!

Total mileage: 6.5 miles

I would feel bad about the extremely low mileage week, but I rarely work out when I travel (there’s so many other things I’d rather be doing) and this week I felt some IT band tightness on my left leg.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

I had some trouble with my left IT band during the marathon last May, despite having zero signs during training. I went to PT, took off from running for most of the summer, then ran two half-marathons in the fall with no pain. I thought the IT band issue “went away.”

Um, no.

Ignorance on my part – combined with a long run, running mainly on the indoor track, breaststroke kicking drills (which have this wicked whip kick), and not doing my IT band exercises any longer – put a lot of tension on my IT bands.  I figured an easy week plus LOTS of stretching would be best for now.

I think I caught it early, so hopefully with diligent stretches and exercises, I’ll be okay.

For now, I’m foam rolling like crazy. And throwing in some one-leg squats.

*Foam rolling: Make sure you don’t roll past your knee.

**One-Leg Squats: Make sure your knee doesn’t go over your toes. Start with shallow squats. Best done in front of a mirror.

***All you could want to know about IT band, foam rolling, and squats from the professionals.

Preview weeks:

This entry was posted in TRAINING and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Week Eight: I got new shoes.

1. Emma says:

Marathon training injuries…I feel your pain! Slowly recovering from a knee injury – saw an osteopath yesterday and it was money well spent. Now it’s stretches and squats everyday, and I’m waiting for a foam roller to arrive in the post. Hope yours gets better soon…

Yes, injuries are so not fun. It’s funny because I ran cross-country in high school and college….no injuries. Now that I’m getting older: INJURIES. I’m hoping the foam roller is the answer for us.

2. Thanks for that video! I had some ITB issues a few months ago, which derailed my marathon training. It was my first time suffering from such an injury and it sucked. Glad you’ve got yours under control. I will definitely start doing those squats after my runs!

Sometimes I think….these videos are embarrassing. But I just started to get into foam rolling this past year. Before that, I was like, “What is foam rolling?!” Hopefully, it does the trick!

3. Wah, any tips for plantar faciitus? I’m totally sidelined because of it. Grr.
    I hope your IT band issues heal quickly!

Injuries. Blah.

Have you made an appointment with a PT?

I think taking a tennis ball and rolling it up and down the arches of your foot helps. Also, stretching your calves. I had a friend who had it and wore the boot for a while. You have it on while you sleep to keep your foot upright. Does it hurt worse in the morning? That’s typically what happens, especially as it gets worse.

Injuries. The worst! Good luck. Your training has been so spot on.

• Thank you — I’ve been doing the tennis ball thing,and tomorrow I’m investing in a “therapeutic message”. I have a hard time taking time off, but I really need to!

This is some of the worst pain I’ve felt, other than actually breaking a bone, which I’ve managed to do 3 times whilst running. I bemoan the fact that my parents didn’t make me drink milk. How cliche — blaming the parents.
        Anyhoo, hope you’re enjoying your new shoes.

A YA title you MUST CHECK OUT: “Why We Broke Up”. It’s the best I’ve reading years.

Injuries are just so frustrating, especially when you’ve put in so much time and effort. Hopefully, you’ll rest and make a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the book recommendation. Sounds like I’d LOVE it. I put it on my to-read list!

4. Linda says:

Hi Sarah, You may already know this, but if not, I thought you would want to!

A real chocolate pick-me-up – February 28 is National Chocolate Soufflé Day!

5. Pingback: Week Nine: Foam Rolling is working. « DAILY NIBBLES