Whew, I forgot how tough marathon training is in the winter. It was a cold weekend. I woke up to -8 this morning. (Too cold to run outside in my book. Can I just stay inside all day, snuggled under a mountain of blankets?) I’m glad I got in my longer run yesterday.
However, last week’s training looked nothing like my plan. Again. Cross-training was almost non-existent, but at least I got in my three key runs. Thankful for a friend loaning me her yaktrax!
- Monday, Jan 9: 3 mile run. I have no idea of my pace. I got a Garmin for Christmas because my Timex finally kicked the can, but it doesn’t want to connect to the software on my computer. Alas, I have yet to figure out my splits or pace, unless I go to history and click through all of my laps. So far I haven’t cared that much to look. I’ve been spending time on forums, and it appears a lot of people have trouble with this issue. So it’s pretty much like I’m wearing a giant sport swatch right now. Oh, technology.
- Tuesday, Jan 10: 90-min Vinyasa yoga class. John’s class, which is my absolute favorite in town. Good people, good poses, good music. I leave feeling all warm and fuzzy. I usually can’t make this class because I have a speaker series on Tuesday nights, but the students weren’t back last week.
- Wednesday, Jan 11: Tried to go to Bodypump, but I got there and it was canceled. So….I went home and made dinner.
- Thursday, Jan 12: 6 miles: Repeat three times (1 mile at 9:12, 1 mile at 7:42). I did this on the treadmill after work, and while I dreaded doing intervals, I felt good (proud?) after the workout. I’ve never done intervals before for marathon training, but I think it’ll be a good thing.
- Friday, Jan 13: Missed Bodypump again. 3.5 miles on the elliptical.
- Saturday, Jan 14: Off. I had to work part of the day, and then went out to dinner with friends.
- Sunday, Jan 15: I finally tore myself away from a Downton Abbey marathon (thank you Mindi!) – I too agree that everyone in the universe should watch it- for a 7 mile run. A cold, snowy one. I bundled up (down shell, balaclava, mittens, three shirts, lined running pants, ski socks, and a hat) and used yaktrax. I felt like a running mummy.