Training: A cold week

marathon training

Whew, I forgot how tough marathon training is in the winter. It was a cold weekend. I woke up to -8 this morning. (Too cold to run outside in my book. Can I just stay inside all day, snuggled under a mountain of blankets?) I’m glad I got in my longer run yesterday.

However, last week’s training looked nothing like my plan. Again. Cross-training was almost non-existent, but at least I got in my three key runs. Thankful for a friend loaning me her yaktrax!

• Monday, Jan 9: 3 mile run. I have no idea of my pace. I got a Garmin for Christmas because my Timex finally kicked the can, but it doesn’t want to connect to the software on my computer. Alas, I have yet to figure out my splits or pace, unless I go to history and click through all of my laps. So far I haven’t cared that much to look. I’ve been spending time on forums, and it appears a lot of people have trouble with this issue. So it’s pretty much like I’m wearing a giant sport swatch right now. Oh, technology.
  • Tuesday, Jan 10: 90-min Vinyasa yoga class.  John’s class, which is my absolute favorite in town. Good people, good poses, good music. I leave feeling all warm and fuzzy. I usually can’t make this class because I have a speaker series on Tuesday nights, but the students weren’t back last week.
  • Wednesday, Jan 11: Tried to go to Bodypump, but I got there and it was canceled. So….I went home and made dinner.
  • Thursday, Jan 12: 6 miles: Repeat three times (1 mile at 9:12, 1 mile at 7:42). I did this on the treadmill after work, and while I dreaded doing intervals, I felt good (proud?) after the workout. I’ve never done intervals before for marathon training, but I think it’ll be a good thing.
  • Friday, Jan 13: Missed Bodypump again. 3.5 miles on the elliptical.
  • Saturday, Jan 14: Off. I had to work part of the day, and then went out to dinner with friends.
  • Sunday, Jan 15: I finally tore myself away from a Downton Abbey marathon (thank you Mindi!) – I too agree that everyone in the universe should watch it- for a 7 mile run. A cold, snowy one. I bundled up (down shell, balaclava, mittens, three shirts, lined running pants, ski socks, and a hat) and used yaktrax. I felt like a running mummy.
  • marathon training

This entry was posted in TRAINING and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Training: A cold week

1. bowtiqx says:

You go girl!!

2. Oh boy, is it cold there – those temps make me relish the 30s we’ve been experiencing here. I MUST watch Downtown Abbey. I’ve heard such amazing things!

Also, what are you reading right now? I look to you for reading recommendations.

I know…cold even for Vermont! Although, they say it’s best to bundle up and get outside for a little bit. Trying to embrace it!

LOVE, love, love Downton Abbey. I was harassing all of my friends and family this weekend to get thee to PBS.com(I also think it’s on Netflix) and get caught up. Each episode is about 1 hr. 20 min. There are four in season one. Season two just started over here…..this Sunday they aired episode two.

Right now, I’m still chipping away at Game of Thrones. I got two YA books from the library that I needed to read quickly. I just finished Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (very different and interesting!) and am in the midst of The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (so far it’s a thrilling read).

3. barefootinit says:

I remember the good old days of yaktrax in vermont! I hate to tell you the temperature here today (30 C) but alas….despite the warmth it’s near impossible to run because of the diesel fumes, lack of sidewalks, and unwanted attention caused by a white woman running. The treadmill is my friend!

Mary – that does sound hard! I remember feeling that way when I was down in Belize. It was hot and no one was out running.

4. Lauren says:

I just started Downton Abbey. It’s so good!

It’s so amazing! A few friends kept saying I needed to watch it. I went to PBS.com to watch the first episode and couldn’t tear myself away. I think I had an 8 hour marathon this weekend. The characters, camera angles, clothes, story lines….ahhh, getting obsessed.

5. Pingback: Week Eight: I got new shoes. « DAILY NIBBLES