Citrus Currant Sunshine Muffins.

citrus currant sunshine muffins

Folks we have a winner.

I’ve discovered my favorite muffin, Dorie Greenspan’s Citrus Currant Sunshine Muffin.

citrus currant sunshine muffins

And to think I wasn’t going to make them!

The currants scared me off initially. Years ago a friend and I went to get ice cream. I distinctly remember him wanting currant sorbet. I just didn’t think currant sounded appealing. {Or sorbet for that matter.} Since I enjoy nibbling off other people’s desserts, I wanted him to pick out a different flavor – preferably something with chocolate or peanut butter – that I wouldn’t mind sampling as well.

Currants just aren’t extremely popular in the States. Am I right? I don’t run into many recipes calling for currants, and when I do, I usually avoid them. I want the more popular option.

I was wrong. Currants are tiny, about half the size of a raisin, and I think better. They don’t have that chewy, grainy taste that sometimes come with raisins. Plus they are pretty. I think they add a little pizazz to these muffins, making them sort of look like an old-fashioned treat.

citrus currant sunshine muffins

Combined with the orange juice and orange zest – which makes the batter smell like an Orange Julius – well, we have a mighty fine muffin. The best I’ve tasted so far.

Run along and get some currants if you don’t already have them!

RECIPE: Citrus Currant Sunshine Muffins, from Dorie Greenspan’s Baking: From My Home To Yours page 7 or on Tuesday with Dorie blogger Bella Baker.

This entry was posted in IN THE KITCHEN. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Citrus Currant Sunshine Muffins.

1. Your photos are great – so happy these are a new favorite for you! :)

2. Tia says:

ive always wanted to make muffins in those little cups – yours look great!

They are Wilton’s white “nut & party cups” {whatever that means}. I just baked them on a cookie sheet. I like them better than regular muffin liners as well!

3. cindy harris says:

Love your cupcake cups–cute! I have never liked raisins but I just might like currants, I need to try them. But I do love dates, they have such a fun texture!

I’m not a huge fan of raisins either. I like dried cherries though – LOVE them – but usually prefer chocolate to dried fruit in recipes:)

4. Flourchild says:

These have to be one of my favs. now too! I like how you made them in those little muffin cups, they look great!

5. peggy says:

I love those little cups. I’ve always thought currants were the same as raisens. Guess I was wrong. Anyway, your muffins look great.

Hi Peggy! Yes, I thought so too. {I was just saying that I liked them better than “traditional” raisins: smaller, less chewy/grainy.} However, when I did a little Internet research I was coming up with loads of different things. Some say they are a grape, others a berry. I think the different currants {red, black, Zante} are different things. I believe I used Zante currants which are seedless black grapes. Kind of confusing!

6. Nicole says:

I don’t think that currants are popular here. My husband is British and currants are much more common there. I liked these a lot and they were a big hit with my coworkers!

7. julessomeone says:

These look delicious! They were very much enjoyed at my house. No currants, though.

8. Lauryn says:

wow, your new fave muffin recipe! That’s awesome! Thank you for baking with me this week!

9. mike says:

Wonderful! I have some of those cups and never think to bake in them. They look terrific. I agree -currants are so much nicer than raisins, IMO – small and a unique flavor. Well done!

10. currant sorbet does sound icky. but currants in baked goods is another story. glad you tried and loved them!

11. Pingback: PROJECT 365: Week of March 12 « daily nibbles