Tartine Bread Starter, Day 1.

LR-2594.jpg

This is the most exquisite cookbook. You just curl up and read its pages and sort of oogle at the photos. At least I do. I’m giving the Tartine Bread recipe a go at home. To start, you need to make your own starter. A vigorous starter. This takes days.

LR-2597.jpg

First off, measure out five pounds of bread flour, preferably a half-to-half mixture of wheat and white.

LR-2600.jpg

LR-2605.jpg

Grab a handful of the flour.

LR-2607.jpg

And drop it in a small bowl.

LR-2609.jpg

LR-2610.jpg

LR-2611.jpg

Add a little bit of lukewarm water.

LR-2612.jpg

Mix together with your fingers.

LR-2614.jpg

Too dry. You’re going for a lump-free batter texture.

LR-2616.jpg

LR-2618.jpg

Add more water and mix some more.

LR-2613.jpg

LR-2617.jpg

It’s almost there!

LR-2619.jpg

It looks like smooth pancake batter.

LR-2622.jpg

LR-2626.jpg

Cover and let sit in a cool, shaded place for two to three days.

LR-2627.jpg

Be back in a few days once the starter has {hopefully} developed some activity.

This entry was posted in IN THE KITCHEN. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Tartine Bread Starter, Day 1.

1. BIOCHEMISTA says:

Wow, THREE days of staring at bread! That’s some serious patience haha :) I bet it will be well worth it though!

2. Sarah says:

Hahaha! Oh, this is completely out of my comfort zone:) We’ll see how it goes. Luckily, the Tartine cookbook has loads of pictures and seriously 40 pages on just the bread recipe alone.

• Caleb says:

What is all the extra flour for?

Hi Caleb. The Tartine bread book had to you make a large batch of flour to use to feed the starter. I fed my starter for about two weeks, and didn’t use all of the flour. But some starters take longer. Hope that helps!

3. Beth Billups says:

ooh-i just fed my starter for the first time and was looking for tips. great blog and having lived in vermont for a wee bit i’m loving your blog : )

beth

4. Frank says:

Caleb, has a legitiment question, what’s all the extra flour?

Hi Frank. Yes, I agree it looks confusing and addressed that in a reply to Caleb. The Tartine bread book had to you make a large batch of flour to use to feed the starter, which can take almost a month to develop. The flour is actually a blend of two different flours, so that is why you make a large batch. I fed my starter for about two weeks, and didnโ€™t use all of the flour. But some starters take longer. Hope that helps!