A Quick & Easy Breakfast.

For Christmas I received a waffle maker and it came in handy the week after the marathon. My bruised feet left me wanting to do nothing more than to stay in the kitchen for a weekend of waffle experimentation. Inspired by Molly Wizenberg at Orangette, I tried out Marion Cunningham’s Raised Waffles and the Waffle of Insane Greatness in one weekend.

Like Molly, my friends and I all loved the raised waffles. They are crisp, chewy, buttery, and not overly sweet. Even better, they call for minimal morning prep time.

THE NIGHT BEFORE:

In a large mixing bowl (because this batter will rise), add 1/2 cup of warm water.

Add 2 1/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast. Let water/yeast mixture sit for 5 minutes. There should be tiny bubbles at the surface, then add:

5 tablespoons of melted butter that has cooled slightly.

2 cups of warm milk.

1 teaspoon of table salt.

1 teaspoon of sugar.

2 cups of all-purpose flour and blend with the mixer for about 30 seconds, or just until the batter is smooth. This really takes no time at all!

Cover with plastic wrap and leave out on counter-top overnight.

For the cold-brewed iced coffee, measure out 1/3 cup of roasted coffee beans.

Add them to the coffee grinder.

Grind for a short time to produce very coarse coffee granules.

Add to French Press (or jar) along with 1 1/2 cups of water.

Stir. Put on top, but don’t plunge it down, and leave out overnight.

All done. See you in the morning!

IN THE MORNING:

I highly recommend starting with the coffee, because then you can sip it while you whip up the waffles.

Fill glass with ice and one-to-one ratio of coffee and water. Add milk to desired taste. Cold-brewed coffee has a smooth, rich flavor without any trace of bitterness. I’m hooked on it.

The waffle batter should look dough-like and bubbly in the morning.

Add two eggs, lightly beaten.

And 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda.

These are great as-is, but I decided to throw in some lemon zest.

and frozen blueberries! Stir with a wooden spoon a few times to incorporate ingredients.

Heat up waffle maker and spray with non-stick cooking spray, otherwise the fruit will stick. Since waffle maker shapes vary, add enough batter to fill center. This batter is thin, but expands when baking. I used a little over 1/3 cup of batter per waffle.

Smells heavenly.

I like a little protein in the morning, so I topped my waffle with Greek yogurt along with maple syrup, sliced bananas, and slivered almonds.

The best part is that it only takes about 10 minutes in the morning. Sweet!

waffle post

Marion Cunningham’s Raised Waffles
Slightly adapted from Molly Wizenberg at Orangette, who made it from The Breakfast Book

Yield varies depending on waffle maker

• ½ cup warm water
  • 1 package (2 ¼ tsp.) active dry yeast
  • 2 cups 2 percent milk, warmed (Molly uses whole milk.)
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled (Molly uses 1 stick of butter.)
  • 1 teaspoon table salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • Optional: lemon or orange zest, fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, etc.

Directions

1. Add the warm water to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle with yeast. Make sure the water isn’t too warm or it will kill the yeast. Let sit for five minutes at room temperature. After five minutes you should see tiny bubbles on the surface.

2. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the eggs and baking soda. Blend until smooth. I used an electric mixer for about 30 seconds.

3. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit overnight at room temperature.

4. In the morning, preheat your waffle maker to medium-high heat. I found that if the waffles have frozen berries in them, a higher heat is better. If there are no frozen berries, a medium heat is best.

5. Add the eggs, baking soda, and any optional ingredient right before cooking. Stir until incorporated.

6. Spray waffle maker with non-stick cooking spray. I sprayed each time for the blueberry batch, since berries have a tendency to stick. I poured about 1/3 cup of the batter into my waffle maker. This batter is thin, but it expands when baking. Adjust as needed. Waffles should be a light golden color when done.

NOTE: Leftovers can be wrapped or stored in a large freezer bag with most of the air squeezed out and frozen. I just pop them in the toaster oven for a quick breakfast.

Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee
From Smitten Kitchen, who adapted it from The New York Times

Serves two

• 1 1/2 cups cold water
  • 1/3 cup coarsely ground coffee granules
  • ice cubes
  • milk

Directions

1. Combine the cold water and ground coffee in a container. I used my French press.

2. Stir and let sit out overnight or for 24 hours. Strain twice. I just used my French press with one strain.

3. To serve: Pour equal parts coffee concentrate and water. I used four ounces of each. Add to tall glass with ice and top with a splash of milk.

NOTE: Leftovers can be kept in a jar in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.

This entry was posted in IN THE KITCHEN. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to A Quick & Easy Breakfast.

1. SohdaLex says:

Great job with the photo tutorial ;) Looks Delicious!

2. Lovely post!! Now I want some waffles!! :)

3. Jessica says:

This makes me want a wafflemaker so bad! You have our vote!

4. Mariko says:

I love waffles, especially rising ones. They have such a nice flavor. I also love the closeups on your pictures– looks so artistic.

5. A very great tutorial, to the point and effortless! :) Great work!

6. Your photos are all so beautiful! I love it. Breakfast is my favorite meal, hands down.

Not only does the food look delicious, but I am in love with your table setting! It’s so colorful!!

7. sippitysup says:

You do know that hundreds of food bloggers will be showing up to your house early tomorrow morning for a breakfast from a champion. Great post. GREG

8. You’ve got me wanting waffles! And you’ve got my vote!

9. Lisa Orgler says:

These are such fantastic photos, plus a LOVELY recipe! I am so delighted to have found you! Good luck!!

10. Sophia Lee says:

Darn, you actually make me wanna wake up early in the morning to breathe in these waffles, and that’s no small feat!! Awesome post, and terrific graphics!

11. ela says:

love the photo presentation. good job!

12. Whoah, gorgeous! I’d love to come to your house for breakfast, that waffle looks awesome!
    *kisses* HH

13. Liz says:

Beautifully shot! I voted! Good luck!

14. Sues says:

This is awesome! And would go totally fabulously with our brunch :) I wanted to do the perfect cup of coffee, but realized I don’t know HOW to make the perfect cup. Your tutorial is definitely helpful!! Good luck :) :)

15. Heather says:

What beautiful pictures!! Looks so delicious.

16. Kristy says:

I make these waffles and I usually have to double-batch them because nobody eats just one. We’re hosting (and cooking for) a camp out on our farm for 20 guests weekend after next, and these waffles were one of the foods requested! You will never go back to baking soda/powder waffles after you’ve tried these!

17. ediblecville says:

Wow. These pictures are amazing! So beautiful they made my HUNGRY for breakfast at 4pm LOL! Nice job :)

18. Great post – makes me want to go out and buy a waffle iron! Good luck :)

19. Just had waffles at the Canadian Pavilion at Shanghai Expo – about the only place to get close to a real waffle here….but now I have a super-dooper recipe I can make at home. Just need a waffle iron now…..
    Voted!

20. Marisa says:

I’m with you on the breakfast thing – I’m keen on cooking just about any time of the day except for the mornings. Love that you can do all the prep work the night before – definitely my kinda breakfast.

And on that coffee – it looks & sounds really fabulous. Must try the cold-brewing thing.

21. Food Lover says:

Oh I can imagine the taste now, sounds really yummy and comfy in the morning, thanks & wish you good luck :)

22. Fantastic photos! Really makes me think I should whip out my waffle maker more often!

23. @lickmyspoon says:

Breakfast can be such a hassle, great idea to do everything the night before when you’re coherent. Your waffles look fantastic, definitely voting for you and them. Good luck this week!

Lick My Spoon

24. Daily Spud says:

That cold-brewed iced-coffee is intriguing – I’ve been experimenting with different brew methods myself but that’s one I’ve yet to try. And I now also want a waffle maker quite badly!

Yeah, cold-brewed is a neat method! It was great in the summer for iced coffees. I think it’s gaining in popularity as well. I’ve read about it in some magazines and a few coffee places offer it.

25. Lindsay says:

So delicious looking and simple! Even just the coffee part. Great idea! Just gave you a vote!

26. Butter says:

Yes! This looks beyond delicious – I love breakfast foods! Great tutorial and you have gorgeous shots. So gorgeous in fact that I can taste the blueberries, that orange juice and the delicious waffles from here…..yummy :)
    - Butter
    (from Running On Butter)

27. Butter says:

Oh yeah – voted too… of course -

28. Imwaytoobusy says:

I am a sucker for waffles topped with bananas and nuts! Your post has me craving breakfast at 7:00 PM :)

29. J.Lynn says:

I lovelovelove the pictures and all the detail. It’s so much more helpful when trying to recreate something. Which, btw, I will totally be recreating these! :)