Swedish Visiting Cake.

I’ve been super excited to try out this Swedish Visiting Cake for the Tuesdays With Dorie baking group. I adore simple cakes and anything with almonds. When I was studying abroad in the Netherlands years ago, my friends and I became slightly obsessed with these almond cookies. We couldn’t pronounce their long name and they became known simply as the almond cookies. [Eh, we were young and none of us mastered Dutch. I'd do it different now.] Since we didn’t ever know the real name, I can’t track down the recipe now. Well, lo and behold, this recipe is a like a cake version of the almond cookies. The outside of the cake has a delicate crisp crust and a moist, buttery, almond-flavored center. This cake is best made in a cast iron skillet – which I don’t have but it is on my wish list. Despite it’s humble appearance, it is flavorful and delicious. The hints of lemon, vanilla, and almond make it one fragrant little cake. It is also absurdly easy to make. Perhaps, that’s why they call it a ‘visiting cake’. You can whip it up for company in no time.

Ready to see how easy it is?

Add sugar to your bowl.

Grate the zest of one lemon. Rub the lemon zest into the sugar with your fingers.

Add one egg.

Whisk away.

Add a second egg. Whisk some more.

Add some salt.

Vanilla extract.

Almond extract. Then whisk some more.

Pour in a cup of flour.

Add your melted butter.

Fold in with a spatula. See – no mixer at ALL in this recipe!

Pour into 9-in skillet or pan. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and a dusting of sugar.

Bake for less than half an hour and ta-da! A gorgeous Swedish Visiting Cake.

I had mine with a few blackberries.

This recipe can be found at The Dog Eats The Crumbs by Nancy. It is also on pages 197 of Baking From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan. To see other Swedish Visiting Cake concoctions, check out the other TWD bakers.

This entry was posted in IN THE KITCHEN. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Swedish Visiting Cake.

1. Sharlene says:

That looks so delicious and simple to make! It’s a good recipe to keep on handy for those times you forgot to go grocery shopping or need to rush out the door with a baked good in hand.

2. That is one of the things I liked about this recipe.

One bowl.

3. alvarosa says:

Wow, the “Pour in a cup of flour”-pic is great! It’s so difficult to get a good picture of moving powder. And being the one who “moves” the powder while simultaneously taking the picture doesn’t make it easier… good job!!

4. cindy says:

Fun cake, love the flavors.

5. Blackberries? Be still my heart!!! Love the way your cake looks, and I’m glad it reminded you of your favorite cookie from long ago and far away. I adore all things almond-ish. Had I known you’d have such amazing and thorough process pictures, I’d have linked to your post! Thanks for baking along with me this week!

6. pamela says:

Gorgeous photos of a lovely and delicious cake! Love the blackberries, too.

7. CB says:

I heart all the process pictures. So glad you found this cake reminded you of a childhood dessert. I love when baked goods can bring back memories.
    -CB

8. Jeannette says:

Mmmmm, imagine how good this cake would be with the berries baked INSIDE the cake. Ideas are brewing!!

I know! I thought about putting them on the inside, but the last few weeks I’ve made big adaptations to the Dorie recipes. So, I thought I’d leave this one alone. I agree though – the berries would be even better inside the cake.

9. Marthe says:

A simple cake that tastes delicious!

10. Beryl says:

I loved how easy this was. Yours looks great!

11. Michelle says:

Im glad you found a recipe that reminds you of something good you used to eat! I loved this recipe and found it to be so easy and the results so tasty! I love your step by step photos and your cake is especially lovely!

12. bexbakes says:

wow, looks gorgeous! Your pictures are wonderful.

13. Susan says:

Wonderful photos, especially the ones with the blackberries! I loved this cake and will keep this recipe close by.

14. Terry Reid says:

I want the Swedish Visiting Cake when I come to visit you Vermont in May!

I ate half the cake in two days. I just took leftovers in to work and people keep raving about it. It’s a winner!

15. Pingback: AUGUST 17: Fruity desserts! « daily nibbles